Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Clarity of mind

Part of what I do during the day is investing in shares and monitoring the prices of shares in the portfolio. I have no shortage of information through the media (internet, online business news, finance channels) and also have friends in the industry. So it's no understatement when I say I am information-overloaded.

This may have worked against me in the beginning because my mind was cluttered with info and hence my emotions rode high and low (much like a wave) depending on what info I was taking in.

So I was quite surprised when, a few days ago, I found myself very calm at a very nerve-racking situation. One of the portfolio's speculative stock was plummeting due to a massive sell-off. There was no news around it so it was unusual especially on an up-day in the markets.

Instead of my usual reaction of "OMG, what do I do? Help Help! What the hell is happening?", I took a breath, stepped back and structured my thoughts and my strategy. There was none of this heartbeat racing like crazy nor the cursing that usually happens to me during these times.

If I were to explain it in a visual sense, it was as though I'm planted right infront of a busy road in India wanting to cross the road. Instead of looking left and right constantly looking for a gap and trying to dodge traffic, I am completely calm, accepting the traffic as it is and just waiting until everything clears so I can cross the road. I am not impatient and nor do I get irritated at the situation I find myself in.

Whether this is the result of regular yoga remains to be seen. Yoga does emphasis the need for being at the present moment and clearing the mind. I'm told that, during meditation, if thoughts come to mind when one should be focussing on clearing it, they should just acknowledge those thoughts and then let it pass. No attachments, no frustrations, no emotions.

"It is what it is"

No comments:

Post a Comment