Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Little me vs Big me

Val, our lovely Russian yoga instructor, took us through a tough beginner's session today. The reason why a beginner's session is tough is because she spends a lot of time re-aligning the students during this class. And as she should. Bad yoga postures can easily result in injury. So, as she walked around adjusting students' postures, I was left there holding onto the asanas. It is good to build strength this way but can be torturous for students like myself who prefer short bursts of energetic asanas.

After our recovery pose (savasana) we sat cross legged to re-enegize ourselves. This is usually the time where the instructors will share some insight or philosophies of yoga. With our hands in prayer infront of our hearts, Val spoke of two sides of each person. "A little me and a big me". The little me, she said, is the part of us who is angery, jealous, bitter and frustrated whereas the "big me" is happiness, calm, purity and light. As she so wisely put it: "Let us all achieve the big me every day".

No comments:

Post a Comment