Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Yoga injuries

After pushing myself really hard the other day in class I slept until 10am today and woke up with a stiff neck. These things resulted in a migraine all day and even a cup of long black didn't help.

It's not unusual for me to get a stiff neck after a yoga class. I must be doing something wrong but I still haven't been able to pinpoint the cause of it. So I got to doing some research on common yoga injuries and how to prevent them.

Some of the most common injuries are:
1. Pulled hamstring
2. Neck and lower back injuries
3. Inflammation of a tendon

So what should you do to prevent yourself from injury?
1. Warm up (do some milder version of an asana before plunging into an advanced asana. eg: Warrior 1 before doing a Cobra)
2. Check alignment
3. Keep the weight evenly distributed among the four corners of the feet
4. Avoid hyper-extension (downward dog is a strong pose if you are not used to it. Retreat to child's pose if you feel it is getting too much)
5. Use props

Remember: you are not competing with anybody but yourself! Listen to your body before you start getting competitive with others!

Below is a good website I found on preventing injuries:
Preventing yoga injuries

No comments:

Post a Comment