Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Friday, November 26, 2010

Abs!

At the end of our yoga session, the instructors usually add ab exercises. It's pretty hard (even for a generally fit person like myself) and so I've been avoiding it by pretending to do some back stretches instead while the others willingly give it a go. The good thing about the instructors in my yoga studio is that they don't push people and stress that they only go as far as they feel comfortable. And hence, they have not been nagging me about it.

I think the instructors realised I was actually fine and was just being lazy and so they started telling me to do the ab exercises. I thought: "Alright, alright".

The moves don't take too long. You lie down on your back, then pull your legs up so that you are at a 90degree angle. Using your abs, you put your legs down about 1/3 way down. Hold hold hold for about 5 breaths, then down your legs go for another 1/3 way down, hold. Then lower the legs to about 6inches above the floor, hold for 5 breaths. And no, you don't lower the legs to the floor but repeat the whole sequence by raising your legs up to the ceiling. Do this about 3 times.

It's pretty hard and hence why I've been ignoring them but having done it 3 days in a row, I started seeing some very nice definition on my abs. This in turn has fueled the desire to do more and not be so tardy during the class.

It's truly amazing how much yoga can sculpt the body in a short space of time. I never saw such results so quickly with anything I had done previously (crunches etc). Go yoga!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment