Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dancer moves

Last week I had a cousin-in-law (CIL) of mine ask me to come in and help her at her newly opened restaurant. Having never waitered in my life, I wondered what it would be like.

Luckily for me, it was not too difficult because it is relatively small in size (only 9 tables in total). The CIL advertised on the local paper recently so she started getting an influx of interested foodies.
On my second day as a waitress, madly running around serving customers and attending to their needs, one of the customers said (as I was topping up their water cups);
"We're going to have compliment you"

Feeling my chest expand with pride (because I thought she was referring to my super-efficient and super-speedy waitressing skills), I said "Oh really?". The customer then says; "Yes, we have been watching you. You move very gracefully. Are you a dancer?"

I nearly chocked with laughter. I have never in my life been asked this and although I have been told that I have poise, no one has ever said I move with grace. And certainly nobody has ever mistaken me for a dancer.

"Oh no, I'm not a dancer at all." I said. But then I realised it must be because of yoga so I added: "Maybe it's because I do yoga. It makes me more nimble and softer in my movements"

The customer then said "Ahhh yes, yoga does do that."

I didn't bother to say that I'm an equities trader running my own asset management business. It just seemed so "un-graceful" to say what I do for a living.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment