Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Flowing like the water

I was rather excited to see Namaste Yoga back on one of the pay TV channels this morning. So I made myself some toast and sat down to watch the 2 episodes. Of course I did not get up to do it myself because either I'm lazy or because I want to memorise the sequence and different asanas to try at a later time. (Yes, it's because I'm lazy!)

One of the things I picked up from watching it today was that, these people look as though they are flowing between their poses. They move as though they are moving under water. Very smooth, very controlled.

I began to wonder why I look like a near-broken machine when I do yoga (I'm exaggerating a bit here). As I blankly stared at the TV munching away like a couch potato, I realised why. Yes, it's partly because these people on TV are professionals and they probably have been practising for years but it was also because their core muscles (abs) never seem to hang loose.

Sometimes I forget to keep those muscles engaged when I'm focussing on breathing or lifting the limbs. And therefore my body doesn't have much of a stable ground to start from.

So, now that I realised this, I'll pay more attention and see if it makes much of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment