Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Leg strength

The other day I was outdoors sitting cross-legged enjoying coffee and the company of a friend. We decided to get a move on and I asked the friend to help me up. As he lent his hand, I grabbed it and lifted myself up.

Funny thing is, I didn't need any of the help from my friend. I don't quite know where the strength came from but I got back home and tried it again.

Sitting cross legged, I leant a little forward to lift my torso and butt off the floor whilst balancing on the outside edges of my feet. Then I just straightened my whole body and that was that!

I know that I couldn't do this before my yoga practice. I had to use my hands to lift myself off or have someone help me up.

Yoga has done amazing things to tone and strengthen my arms and the back. And although the results aren't as easily visible on the legs, being able to get up so easily from sitting on the floor is an indication of a strengthening of the lower body and an improvement on balance.

As for my upper body, my triceps and biceps are much more toned and I have those deltoids! My lower back which has always been rather soft and fleshy now has virtually no fat. All I feel in my lower back is my bones and hardness. Maybe doing all those backbends (locust, cobra etc) has dissolved the fat there. Who says one can't spot reduce their fat?

No comments:

Post a Comment