Who am I?

My photo
Does yoga help shift the way we view the body, mind and soul?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Road un-rage

I made a trip to look at an investment property today. The area I have been researching is about an hour's drive from where I am. And today, I took a friend along to accompany me!

On our way back from the two properties we saw, the highway was bumper-to-bumper. This was quite unusual for this highway at around this time. As we were crawling on the highway, I turned to my friend and mentioned that I am a lot more patient with traffic nowadays and that I put it down to yoga. My friend has known me for many years and so, she is all too familiar with my nasty temper and road rage. In my pre-yoga days, I would curse everything and everyone in sight, pull out my hair or perhaps punch something.

My friend then said it was probably due to aging! She is partly right but there is a reason why yoga helps with road rage. It's because road rage isn't really because of the roads or bad drivers. It's because there is something that is simmering inside of the person and the traffic/bad drivers is just a catalyst to push the person to the boiling stage of emotions.

Regular yoga practice calm people emotionally and  therefore even when faced with frustrating moments, people are less likely to blow up because they were probably never in that simmering emotional state anyway. That's my two cents.

Yoga is just a tool to better equip ourselves against ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment